Brussels Sprouts, Beets and Halibut

You either love em or hate em. Whatever you do with them, try not to overcook the brussels sprouts because that's when they release natural sulfur compounds that give off that offensive odor. When cooked right, they have a nutty flavor and the sulfur smell is avoided. In 4 Brussels Sprouts there are about 40 calories and 3 grams of fiber.

Ingredients:
1 lb. Brussels Sprouts, cut into 1/4's
2 cloves Garlic (crushed, or chopped)
1/2 Onion (thinly sliced)
2 tbsp. Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste or Everyday Seasoning

Toss the ingredients in a bowl and roast on a cookie sheet in the oven at 425 degrees, for about 30min.




You can also pan roast the ingredients or saute them on top of the stove, which I think gives you a little more control of how well they are cooked and they tend to dry out less.

Tonight since the oven was already hot, I also roasted some beets with goat cheese.




I served my veggies tonight with Halibut. I cooked the Halibut stove top with onion, garlic, chile paste and amino acids, in my favorite Le Creuset pan! It turned out perfect!




Why did I serve my veggies with Halibut tonight? Just for the Hal-ib-ut...haha! Sorry, but I love that corny Halibut joke, it is a great memory from my childhood! My mother, who never ever ever says a 'bad' word, told me once when I was about 8yrs old that she was cooking Halibut...Why?...for the Hal-ib-ut! I remember that I was so shocked, and that I wanted to laugh, but didn't know if I should. Then she started cracking up, and I did too. I learned that clever use of language, any language, was ok, it was the ignorant use of a word that kept my Mother from using 'bad' words in her vocabulary, she just never had any use for them. I did not like fish when I was a kid, but I ate it that night with a sense of pride, because my Mom felt that I was 'adult' enough to understand her cleverness.




I know that typically fish is served with a white wine, but I love my reds. And the Ballbuster Shiraz is one of my favorites in it's price range. Keep being creative with your veggies, and try something new every once in a while. Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment