Acorn Squash Stuffed with Spicy Vegetable Ragout



Inspired by the picture on the front page of my Vegetarian Times Magazine this month, and by the Acorn Squash I received from my Bountiful Basket Co-op this week, I made something delicious!!!

By the way, whether we are Vegan, Vegetarian, Flexetarian, or Ominivore, I hope that we can all agree that most of us need more vegetables and plant based foods in our diets! But often times we get in a rut, eating the same old salad or steamed veggie on the side. I find that Vegetarian Times offers up some great ideas! I almost never follow a recipe exactly, because either I don't have all the ingredients on hand or because I just like to give things my own twist. I encourage you to do the same, get inspired and make it yours!


Ingredients:

4-6 acorn squash

Ragout filling:


4 garlic cloves (chopped)
1" piece of fresh ginger (chopped)
2 tsp corriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 small onion (diced)
1 bell pepper (diced)
2 large zucchini (chopped)
20 oz grape tomatoes (blended in food processer)
2 large ripe necatrines
2 cans organic red kidney beans
salt to taste

Directions

Cut the tops off the acorn squash, and clean out the seeds and fibers inside. Also cut a small piece off the bottom of the squash so that it sits flat in the baking pan. Rub the outside of the squash with olive oil.

In a saute pan, over high heat with a little bit of coconut oil, start adding ingredients, in the order listed above and saute for about 5 min.

Stuff your prepared acorn squash with the ragout and bake in the oven @350 for 60-90 min or until a fork can easily pierce the squash.

I only had 4 squash but there was enough ragout filling for 6. I put some of the extra tasty ragout over rice and had it for lunch and my husband put his in a wrap.



You could use any kind of squash or even Bell Peppers for this. Or just prepare the quick and easy Vegetable Ragout by itselfand eat it as is or over rice, quinoa, or pasta...I hope you get the idea by now?! Get inspired to create your own dish and don't just eat your veggies but ENJOY them!




I would love to hear from you, what vegetable dish has inspired you lately?


http://www5.bountifulbaskets.org/
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/

2 comments:

  1. It tasted good...i even put the ragout in a wrap...tasted AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum :) I can eat any types of squash all 4 seasons. hehe. That looks so delicious HI I'm Jenn. you and others have inspired me to start my own blog. I am in training to become an RD. I was wondering if you have heard about the SCAN Symposium Conference: coming up from ADA in March in Chicago? It's regarding Sports Dietetics and eating disorders. Here is the link: http://www.scandpg.org/e-learning-and-events/2011symposium/ and feel free to check out my blog for more info! THanks! www.real-nutrition-nyc.com. Nice to meet you!!!

    ReplyDelete